Finished Skull Sculpture


image

Leave a Reply

Some More Set Photos

I took some photos of some of the shots I did the lighting for.  Here is one of them.  Lots of bounce cards to save wattage, and the spaces were teeny, adding lights would have been crowded.  Three sets had to share the capacity of two power regulators.  At one point a regulator blew up.  It was kind of like production bootcamp because our instructor was preparing to leave us to do the second half of shooting on our own.  We managed to, more or less, keep on-schedule.  The final shot was finished on the originally-scheduled due-date.  It was crazy pressure and part of the motivation to finish was that we thought the space we were using was going to be converted into classrooms.

Here are some photos:

Above is a still from the film itself.  Not color-corrected yet.  It’s totally raw.  It had to match the lighting of the shot below, lit with the help of Nova, one of the photography students who helped out.  I tried paying attention to where the shadows were and which direction the light was coming from.  I was fortunate enough to find some diagrams that Nova had drawn up for the shot below so that I could construct the one above.  Sometimes I had to rely on chance behind-the-scenes photographs people had taken to light other shots.

Just for fun I have this photo of a box of replacement Sister faces.  These are all the shapes we used for expressions and dialog.  Is there blood on the wall?


Honah Lee Sculpture – Part 1

I started with a sketch, to-scale, of a bust of my dragon character Honah Lee.  I have limited clay for this and my initial drawings were way too big, so I scanned it in photoshop and printed it smaller.  Comparison is below.  It was still too big, so I made one more printout a little bit smaller.  The next step is to use tracing paper to come up with the final design and begin building the armature and bulking it out with foil and paper to try to save even more clay. I think the head “fronds” need to be adjusted in their length, and I need to look at more reference photos to see if I have the ears and other parts in the right places.

Figure Sculpture

Day two, in progress.

My ear and my eye.

Jelly Lens

This is an amazing cell phone photo taken with a macro Jelly Lens.

Noisy Bird Stamp

Designed by me and manufactured into a stamp by Tugrik.

image

A Portrait

Watercolor and gouache.

Finished Skull Sculpture


image

Skull Sculpture

I’m taking a figure sculpture class this term.

Set Thumbnails

I found some thumbnails from when I took a stop motion set design class last spring.  Before considering colors, textures, and lighting, we had to start with a very strong foundation.  Numbering helps make note-taking a whole lot simpler.  Some thumbnails are studies on where I want to try to lead the eye.  It’s an exercise out of Create Your Own Stage Sets by Terry Thomas.

It was very collaborative, the design being the responsibility of the sets class while another class was simultaneously developing the story and the design of the characters.  We had some days where both classes overlapped to make sure we were all on the same page.

It’s so exciting to see how closely the finished product resembles the early renderings.

Sketch